Friday, July 03, 2015

Cool Breakfasts for Hot Mornings

We are having an unusually warm Summer on the South Island this year. I am not complaining!

Actually I am enjoying every steamy degree on the thermometer... but I have certainly changed my eating habits in this heat.  I am not interested in my usual breakfast fare these days... eggs, pancakes, and even waffles are just not appealing.  I have been coming up with other things to enjoy as the temperatures soar... cold breakfasts are just better right now.

I like to select some fruit, occasionally nuts or seeds, some protein, a bit of cinnamon and sometimes stevia.  The combinations are endless.

Here are a few of my favorites so far... of course they are all gluten free.



Chocolate Cherry Smoothie
Chocolate Cherry Smoothie

chocolate protein powder, unsweetened original Almond Breeze, frozen cherries
WWP+ = 4


Fruit and Seed Yogurt Bowl
Fruit and Seed Yogurt Bowl

fat free plain Greek yogurt, goji berries, hemp seeds, sunflower seeds, flax meal
WWP+ = 5

Cottage Cheese and Berries
Cottage Cheese and Berries

fat free cottage cheese with thawed frozen mixed berries
WWP+ = 2


Egg White and Flax Muffins
Egg White and Flax Muffins

egg whites, ground flax, cinnamon, stevia
WWP+ = 4
addition PPV for the cheese
I also like these slathered with PB2 or nut butter



Protein Pudding with Cherries
Protein Pudding with Cherries

Greek yogurt, vanilla protein powder, thawed frozen cherries
WWP+ = 4


Chia Pudding with Yogurt and Berries
Chia Pudding with Yogurt and Berries


Chia Pudding with Yogurt and Berries

Greek yogurt, thawed frozen berries, chia pudding made with 2 Tbs chia seeds and 1/3 cup Almond Breeze.
WWP+ = 4


A couple of weeks ago, I even had a big kale salad!

What do you like to have for breakfast on a hot morning?



13 comments:

  1. We are having an unusually cool summer here in the midwest! I'm envious of your heat. But I'd don't really change my breakfast based on the heat. Dinner, for sure...we eat a lot lighter in the summer. Lots of dinner salads.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yum those all look like they are right up my alley! I've been eating so much fruit lately and can't get enough. Have a great weekend

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oddly enough the hot weather doesn't stop me from eating a hot breakfast. We tend to have oatmeal with fruit many mornings.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been eating a lot more smoothies and shakes for breakfast this summer! They are super easy and I'm definitely passing on oatmeal which I eat a lot of during the winter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I eat less oatmeal in the summer and more smoothies for sure. But I still like to eat eggs and bacon, because... yum!

    ReplyDelete
  6. ALL of these looking amazing! I still have boiled eggs - but I wait for them to cool down. Haha.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm usually all about the smoothie, but lately I've been having hot oats no matter how hot it is outside! They're just so nice and filling in the morning.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My husband makes green smoothies every other day so I rotate that and eggs for breakfast! These all look great.!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You can never go wrong with a smoothie!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your list is what my breakfast menu looks like all summer. Except muffins. Why don't I make muffins more often? I should :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yummy! These recipes look not only 'cool' but delicious also! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great round up! I am still on my egg kick, but I am loving cold iced coffee drinks. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I can never pass up pancakes but I do agree that sometimes I need something a little cooler to stave off the heat. Some of my current favourites are cold overnight oats and smoothies with granola. So good :D

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a comment.