Saturday, November 09, 2013

Cooking Up Some Old Favorites This Week

With the abundance of local produce at such great prices, lately, I have been taking advantage of having a wide variety of squashes, colorful bell peppers, and curly kale at my fingertips, to make up some old favorites this past week.

Just to highlight a few...  Click on the picture to go to the original post and recipe.


Jan 11 Butternut Squash Soup 003copy

This soup is really versatile and the ingredients can be easily swapped out... for instance, use olive oil instead of coconut oil, turkey instead of chicken, and any kind of squash or even sweet potato for the butternut squash. It's all good.  I made a huge batch today and froze it in individual servings for lunches down the road.




Butternut Squash and Red Pepper Soup

I made a small batch of this at the beginning of the week and ate it 4 days in a row for lunch.... I still claim it is the tastiest soup I have made for a looooong time... and this batch I used some roasted red peppers.  Yes, it is an extra step but completely and absolutely worth it!




I didn't want to serve the dish over spinach or kale this time around, so added some baby carrots while it cooked and then served over rice for The Captain, and amber cup squash for me (that is the bright orange one that looks like a small pumpkin with very sweet flesh) ... and we didn't eat all of the sauce either, so I saved it and had it over cauliflower rice one day for lunch.




Asian Beef Slaw

I love  love  LOVE  this dish!  I made enough for two meals so the first night we had it as the filling for lettuce wraps, and then we had the leftovers served with rice for the Captain and a Low-Carb Tortilla for me.  It can easily be changed up with the addition of some canned pineapple or mandarins, too.


Guess I will have to come up with something new this week!  

Do you reprise and change up old favorites, too?




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving me a comment.