Wednesday, May 08, 2013

Carrot, Kale and Red Pepper Soup with Shredded Chicken

Sometimes I end end up with little bits of all kinds of different vegetables in the refrigerator… usually on days before I plan a big shop.  It’s fun to see what I can come up with to use these goodies…. something tasty and filling of course… but often a bit unusual.

Quite often it is a salad.  But that normally wouldn’t be The Captain’s choice for lunch and I wanted to make something that we both would really enjoy… soup it would be!

My newest soup comes compliments of the fridge crisper!  And it was delicious and full of healthful vitamins and antioxidants, too.  I added some leftover cooked chicken to round out a complete meal.  You could also shred up a can of cooked chicken breast chunks to add to this soup, too.  Turkey would also be very good.
This was our whole lunch so I divided into 2 large servings.  If you planned a soup-and-salad lunch or even soup with a roll, you could easily get 4 satisfying bowls from these ingredients.

And though I did use my immersion blender to mix the veggies and the broth together, I left lots of large chunks.  It makes a nice meal I think when there is something to CHEW!

May 8th soup 003


Carrot, Kale and Red Pepper Soup with Shredded Chicken
Makes 2 large servings
  • 1 tsp coconut oil
  • 3 cloves garlic, peeled, smashed and minced
  • 1/2 medium white onion, sliced vertically
  • 4 large carrots, cut into 1 inch chunks (approx. 1 lb.)
  • 1/2 red bell pepper, seeded and cut into chunks
  • 1/2 bunch kale, washed and large stems removed (approx. 2 oz.)
  • 1 tsp curry powder
  • Dash of red pepper flakes
  • 2 cups turkey, chicken or veggie broth
  • 8 ounces cooked chicken, shredded
  • Salt to taste 
  1. Put the coconut oil into a large soup pot over MEDIUM heat.
  2. Saute the onion and garlic till translucent, about 5 minutes.
  3. Add the carrots, red pepper, and kale to the pot. Stir occasionally and allow to cook another 5 minutes.
  4. Add the curry powder, and stir to coat the veggies.
  5. Add the broth, cover the pot, and bring to boil.
  6. Reduce the heat and allow soup to simmer for about 15 minutes till carrots are soft.
  7. Remove the pot from the heat. 
  8. Use your immersion blender to break up veggies and mix them into the broth.  Don’t over-process. You want it to be chunky.
  9. Add chicken to the pot and stir.
  10. Place soup in serving bowls and salt to taste.
Per serving.
Weight Watchers P+ = 6.
Calories ; Protein 30g; Carbohydrate 27g; Fat 4g; Fibre 7g.

May 8th soup 001
Sauteeing the veggies before adding the curry powder.


May 8th soup 004
Leaving this soup chunky shows off the colors of the carrots, and you can see a bit of green from the kale and red from the peppers.


What do you like to do with little bits of veggies in your fridge?

3 comments:

  1. I love soup but I make it at home so rarely. This combo looks great. I need to be more adventurous in the soup making category.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks amazing but honest me - Too much work for me.. I would eat it if you made it for me! ;) I need to easy that I can do it with my eyes closed! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love to ROAST UP all the veggies in my fridge and freezer! Roasting is seriously my favorite form of cooking :) That being said... Your soup could be a close 2nd ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a comment.