Monday, May 13, 2013

Almond Meal Cookies with Raisins and Pepitas

Last week I made 3 different kinds of cookies, in anticipation of having dinner guests.  The Captain’s sister and her husband were on the Island while he was attending a business conference… and they skipped their scheduled Friday night activities in order to come and spend some time with us!

I kept dinner very simple, and for dessert served a rich vanilla ice cream with balsamic strawberries on top… and some cookies.

I made gluten free chocolate chip cookies, some oatmeal and raisin cookies, and I wanted to do an almond meal cookie of some kind so that there would be a grain free option for me in case I decided to indulge!  And of course using almond meal and flax, instead of flour, means that they are grain free as well as gluten free.

I made up a batter that I have used previously and this time, instead of the peanut butter chips, I added raisins and pumpkin seeds (do you know them as pepitas?) to the mix.  The result was 14 moist and chewy cookies.

Although I used agave again  I am not sure I am a real fan. It has a markedly different taste from honey, and although it does add sweetness, I think it might be an acquired taste.  I am pretty sure that next time I will use honey instead.

But I think they were a hit... My sister in law took the last few home with her, and I don't think she was just being polite!

May 1st almond cookies 002

Almond Meal Cookies with Raisins and Pepitas
Makes 14 cookies
  • 3/4 cup almond meal
  • 1/4 cup ground flax seeds
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/4 cup raisins
  • 1/8 cup pepitas 
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla
  • 1 egg
  • 3 Tbs agave nectar
  1. Preheat oven to 350° F.
  2. Mix the almond meal, flax, salt, and cinnamon together in a large bowl. Stir in the raisins and pepitas.
  3. Combine the egg, vanilla, and agave together in a small bowl.
  4. Stir the wet mixture into the dry mixture until well blended.
  5. Scoop dough by the spoonful and place on a cookie sheet that has been covered with parchment paper.
  6. Slightly flatten each cookie.
  7. Bake for 10 minutes and allow to rest for a few minutes before removing to baking sheet to finish cooling.

May 1st almond cookies 001


Per serving of 1 cookie.
Weight Watchers P+ = 2.
Calories 85; Protein 3g; Carbohydrate 7g; Fat 5g; Fibre 1g.



Do you like the taste of agave?

Do you use it in your baking?

4 comments:

  1. These cookies sound great! I think I may try making them, but maybe trying without the pepitas. As for the agave, I don't really care for it all that much either. I'd tried baking with it once & wasn't a big fan.
    Happy Monday!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look yummy that's for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never used agave before in my life. Stevia is my GO-TO sweetener :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a comment.