Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Low Carb Microwave Flax Pizza Crust... not ONLY for My Gluten Free and Paleo Friends

I really like pizza…. well who doesn’t?

But since I have given up grains and dairy, I haven’t had it very often.

I have made pizza with cauliflower crust, and it is pretty darn good, but somewhat cumbersome and time consuming to put together.  And when The Captain puts one of his favorite store-bought frozen pizzas into the oven for dinner, the whole point of it is that it is tasty and QUICK… so I have been looking…

And after doing some experimenting with flax, which has become my go-to non grain, I have come up with something really easy and really good.  I make this crust in the microwave oven in a couple of minutes, then pile on my chosen toppings and put it into the oven for 7 or 8 minutes. 


Crust




Low Carb Microwave Pizza Crust
Makes 1 serving
  • 5 Tbs egg white
  • 3 Tbs milled flax
  • 1 Tbs nutritional yeast
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp Italian herbs (optional)
  1. Whisk the egg whites in a medium bowl and add the other ingredients.
  2. Mix well and pour into 9 inch microwave safe dish. 
  3. Cook on HIGH for 3 minutes.
  4. Preheat your oven to 375F.
  5. Remove the crust from the microwave oven and loosen from the dish by running a spatula underneath the edges.
  6. Place the crust on a baking sheet and cover with your choice of toppings.
  7. Put in the preheated oven and bake for 7 or 8 minutes.
  8. Remove from oven; slice and serve.

Per serving, crust only.
Weight Watchers P+ = 5.
Calories 204; Protein 14g; Carbohydrate 9g; Fat 11g; Fibre 5g.

UPDATE for Smart Points followers:
Per serving, crust only.
Weight Watchers SP = 5.
Calories 204
Protein 14g
Carbohydrate 9g
Fat 11g
Saturated Fat 1g
Sugar 0g
Fibre 5g

Apr 20 Low Carb Microwave Flax Pizza Crust 002

I have made this a few times now with lots of different toppings, but I usually start with a smear of tomato paste, and then a sprinkle of Italian herbs including oregano and basil. I like mushrooms, sliced very thinly, white onions, red peppers and spinach

I have also made Hawaiin Pizza with ham and pineapple chunks, and on others  I have used pepperoni.  Leftover roasted veggies also make a great pizza topping!

If you eat cheese go ahead and add a bit… makes the taste more like a pizzeria pizza.

5 comments:

  1. I NEEED to try this.
    My fear is I will this morning even tho we have no yeast yet :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that's why I haven't tried the cauliflower crust thing - it just sounds so cumbersome. This, though, sounds amazing!!! I love pizza too and may just get to eat it more often with this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't wait to give this one a try!
    I wonder how I could make this a breakfast pizza?
    Maybe some of your pork breakfast sausage crumbled fried, tomatos, and some other veggie like zuccini or maybe spinach....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Huh, this looks easy! And husband was just looking up paleo pizza options for me (he's such a loving, non-paleo, man). Do you know if it only works with egg whites? I don't like wasting yolks, though I guess I could always save the yolk for breakfast the next day.
    I will need to go find some nutritional yeast, and then I'm definitely giving this a try. It looks crispy and tasty!
    Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. YUM YUM in GiGi's TUM TUM!!! :) Perfection!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a comment.