Friday, November 23, 2012

Pumpkin Protein Cake

I have been craving pumpkin lately.  It probably has something to do with the power of suggestion.  Everywhere I look on the internet or in magazines, the pumpkin recipes are truly a display of creative genius... not to mention just plain old eye candy.  I wanted to get in on the action, too.

So I decided to make something like the Banana Protein Cake, but I used 1 cup of canned pumpkin puree instead of a whole banana, and also added some more spices.  It was delicious.... like having pumpkin pie for breakfast.  Of course you can halve the ingredients if you like.

I suggest cooking it in 2 stages to make sure it is not running over the edges of the microwave dish during cooking. If you just set it for 3 minutes and leave it, it is likely to end up on the bottom of your microwave oven!



Pumpkin Protein Cake
Makes 2 servings.
  • 1 cup pumpkin puree
  • 1 egg
  • 1 scoop vanilla protein powder
  • 1 Tbs chia seeds
  • 2 Tbs almond milk
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp ground cloves
  • 1/4 tsp ground ginger
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  1. Mix all the ingredients together and place in a shallow microwaves-safe dish that has been lightly coated with a non-stick spray.
  2. Cook on HIGH for 2 minutes.  Then cook on HIGH 1 minute more.
  3. Remove from the mike and let rest 5 minutes.
  4. Divide between 2 bowls and top as desired.

Per serving, without toppings.
Weight Watchers P+ = 5.
Calories 175; Protein 19g; Carbohydrate 14g; Fat 8g; Fibre 7g.

 
Stir everything together in a large bowl.


The batter should be fairly thick.
 

Let it rest and finish cooking after it comes out of the mike.
 

Place half into a cute serving dish and top... vanilla yogurt and pepitas for The Captain.


and for me, too.



3 comments:

  1. Yum! I bet I could use my Cinnamon bun protein powder for this with great results!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too feel like there's pumpkin everywhere! I'm not a huge fan but I've been making different pumpkin dishes purely because of the power of suggestion. And I'm starting to come around. Love this recipe and can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, this looks really good! I can't do almond milk or chia seeds but can just substitute those easy enough. Thanks for the recipe! I cant wait to try!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a comment.