Monday, October 29, 2012

Banana Omelet... Bazinga!

Are you one of those people who likes to eat the same thing for breakfast every morning?  Eggs and toast, or hot oatmeal, or a bowl of cereal with milk and fruit?  I know that some find it very comforting to not have to make that decision every morning... especially if it is hectic with getting ready to head out to work or to school.

Not me... I am always on the lookout for something new.  I have lots of favorite breakfast foods but that doesn't stop me from trying new ones... very often!

I do like my breakfast to have lots of protein, though.  A starchy, carb-laden breakfast just doesn't get my day off to a very good start.  Usually within an hour, or perhaps two at the most, I am hungry again, and if I don't get something substantial to eat at that point I get shaky and light-headed and hangry!   I am likely to eat the first thing I see.

So, when I first started adding fruit to my omelets several weeks ago, I thought bananas migh be a good idea.  I love eggs in the morning, but I do need a break from eating veggie-ful omelets, as much as I love them.  And I have made omelets with cooked apples and cinnamon, so why not banana omelets? 

I played around with ingredients a couple of times until I came up with a combination I really like. So does The Captain... which is very nice because I really thought  he would not like this at all.  So, when I make this, I have to double the ingredients and use 2 pans because I am making an omelet for each of us.

I like to top our omelets with the other half of the banana and some chunky natural peanut butter.





Basic Banana Omelet
Makes 1 serving
  • 1/2 banana, mashed
  • 2 whole fresh eggs
  • 1/4 cup egg whites
  1. Mash the banana in a medium bowl.
  2. Add the eggs and the egg white and beat well.
  3. Pour the batter into a heated skillet that has been coated with non-stick spray.
  4. Cook about 3 minutes until bubble start to form.
  5. Cover and leave till eggs are cooked through, about 5 minutes more.
  6. Fold in half and then remove to plate.
  7. Serve with your favorite toppings.
Per serving, without toppings
Weight Watchers P+ = 5.
Calories 234; Protein 19g; Carbohydrate 16g; Fat 10g; Fibre 1g.



Mash half of a banana.

Add the eggs, and egg white, and beat well.

Pour batter into heated skillet.

Once the edges start to dry and bubbles form, cover and let continue to cook.

Fold in half, remove to plate, and then top.
 


4 comments:

  1. A few of my fav foods combined...eggs and bananas! Delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, I totally do this with butternut squash! :) Deliciousness! Great way to start... or finish... the day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks A-MAZING! I am going to try this week-end! Thanks for the recipe! I never would have thought of it! I pinned it to remember it later! :) Thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks awesome! Mmm Mmmm!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a comment.