Monday, September 10, 2012

White Tuna is the Star of This Avocado and Tuna Salad

We always have canned, water-packed chunk tuna in the cupboards, and I often have it on greens for lunch.  But recently we shopped at  Costco, and they had water-packed solid white tuna on sale.  I couldn't resist as I think it is so much nicer than the light, when it takes centre stage on my plate.

I had an avocado that was just ripe and so I created a really nice lunch salad for The Captain and me, and even he approved!

If all came together so quickly and easily.  I didn't use an oily dressing on this salad, only a sprinkle of fresh lemon juice.  There is enough healthy fat in the avocado, and I didn't want to overpower the delicate tuna.  Of course I used some of the fresh cilantro that is growing on our balcony right now.





Avocado and Tuna Salad
Makes 2 servings
  • 4 or 5 cups of mixed lettuces and baby spinach, cut to desired size
  • 1 medium carrot, grated
  • 1 can tuna, drained (133g solids after draining - approx 4 ounces)
  • 1 ripe avocado
  • 1 oz. fresh lemon juice
  • Dashes of salt and pepper
  • Fresh cilantro as desired
  1. Wash and cut the greens and divide between 2 serving plates.
  2. Add half the grated carrot to each plate and toss into the greens.
  3. Break the tuna chunks up with a fork and layer over the greens mixture.
  4. Slice the avocado and place over the tuna.
  5. Sprinkle the lemon juice over the salads.
  6. Season with salt and pepper.
  7. Garnish with fresh cilantro and serve immediately.
Per serving.
Weight Watchers P+ = 5.
Calories 190; Protein 17g; Carbohydrate 10g; Fat 12g; Fibre 7g.


Plated and ready!




2 comments:

  1. This looks incredibly easy and I have everything at home! Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmm... love avocado and tuna... definitely looks tasty!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a comment.