Thursday, August 09, 2012

Summery Avocado Boats

Sometimes I just crave avocado... they are one of my very favorite foods.  Rarely do I ever manage to purchase one that is ready to eat, and often I have to wait several days.

All week long I have been coaxing an avocado along into the perfect state of ripeness... checking it every day.  Finally today was the day it was just right to eat.  I spent quite a lot of time this morning trying to decide how best to enjoy it.

I came up with this simple, but pretty, salad to have at lunch.  I call it Summery Avocado Boats.  I am sailor after all....




SummeryAvocado Boats
Makes 2 servings
  • 1 ripe avocado
  • 1/2 large yellow bell pepper, diced
  • 1 green onion, chopped
  • 4 cherry tomatoes, cut in half

For the Dressing
  • 2 tsp olive oil
  • juice of 1 lemon or 1 Tbs lemon juice
  • 1 clove garlic, peeled, smashed and minced
  • 1 Tbs ciliantro, chopped
  • Dashes of salt and dried oregano

  1. Put all of the dressing ingredients into a small bowl, combine well and set aside to let the garlic work!
  2. Put the yellow pepper, green onion and tomatoes into a medium bowl.
  3. Wash the avocado and cut it in half end to end.
  4. Gently scoop the flesh away from the avocado shell.
  5. Cut the flesh into smallish chunks and fold them into the other salad ingredients in the medium bowl.
  6. Add the dressing to the salad and stir gently.
  7. Spoon half othe mixture into each of the two avocado shells and serve with a dash of salt and a sprig of cilantro for garnish.

Per serving.
Weight Watchers P+ = 4.
Calories 152; Protein 2g; Carbohydrate 9g; Fat 13g; Fibre 4g.

Prepared dressing and set aside to give the garlic a bit of time to work.


Put peppers, onion, and tomatoes into a medium bowl.



Wash, cut and scoop avocado.  I do this just before I am going to use it so it doesn't turn brown from oxidization.


Add avocado chunks to salad, then dressing and fold altogether gently.


Scoop half of the mixture into each shell to make boats!


I served with whole wheat bagels and Laughing Cow cheese wedges.


5 comments:

  1. Looks delicious! I love anything in "boats"...especially if it includes avocado.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All I can say is YUM!

    Avocados are my favorite and I know what you mean about not being able to buy one that is ready to eat. I had a huge avocado craving Tuesday and was fortunate enough to find one at the store that I could eat! It was just the blessing I needed as that was going to be part of my dinner after saying bye to my mom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lemon juice on avocado is so tasty!

    Cool idea! Sounds goods :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. i started eating avocado when we moved to FL and seriously I need at least 1 a week now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love avocado, I also can't seem to buy one the same day I can eat it. What a great idea... I must try this!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a comment.