Thursday, July 12, 2012

My Mango Jicama Chicken Salad on Spinach Leaves

This seems like an odd combination of ingredients... mango, jicama, and chicken... but it is delicious and the dressing is really unique and tasty.  I hope you will try it!

You all know that I have been a lifetimer with Weight Watchers for many many years... recently they decided to reward continuing lifetime members by giving us free access to e-tools on their web site.  I am not used to having access to it yet so don't think to look at the recipe listings very often.

However, this past week I had a mango that I wanted do do something special with, so I access the recipe section of the Weight Watchers site and found a recipe called Tropical Mango-Jicama Chicken Salad... well I just happened to have a jicama on hand, too, and some chicken breasts... so I based this dinner on that recipe.  I chose to serve it on a bed of spinach leaves to give it some added bulk to make it dinner-worthy. 

I was thrilled to find yet another dish to add cilantro to... we have a huge pot of it growing on the balcony!

I will present this recipes as I made it up, but if you want the original, just google the title... you will find several instances of it on various sites. It calls for lime juice and I didn't have any on hand, but if you do, use it in place of the lemon juice... it would be even better, I think.




My Mango Jicama Chicken Salad on Spinach Leaves
Makes 2 dinner-size servings
  • few slices of sweet onion
  • 1Tbs lemon juice
  • 1 tsp olive oil
  • few dashes of cumin
  • dash of hot pepper sauce
  • 2 small chicken breasts, cooked, cooled and cut into chunks
  • 1/2 fresh mango, peeled and cut into small chunks
  • 1-1/2 cups jicama, peeled and shredded
  • 1/4 cup cilantro, roughly chopped
  • 2 cups fresh spinach leaves, washed and dried
  1. Combine the onion, lemon juice, olive oil, cumin and hot pepper sauce in a large bowl.
  2. Let it stand for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally to make sure onion is coated well.
  3. Add the chicken, mango, jicama, and cilantro.  Toss and mix well.
  4. Divide the spinach leaves between 2 plates
  5. Divide and serve the salad mixture over the top of the spinach.
Per serving.
Weight Watchers P+ = 6.
Calories 242; Protein 23g; Carbohydrate 20g; Fat 8g; Fibre 7g.

So easy... just combine and serve on plated greens.

1 comment:

  1. I love this refreshing salad. Perfect for these warmer days!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a comment.