Thursday, July 19, 2012

Flourless Whey Protein Pancakes

This post was written for a guest appearance on a blog I love and read regularly called Family Fitness Food.  Carrie was going on vacation and asked me to do a breakfast recipe for her blog while she was going to be away.  I was happy to do it as I was just working on this post for my own blog so gave it to her instead.

But I decided to share it with my own readers, too.  It is a really easy and quick recipe to put together, and for more and more of my friends who are giving up grains, it is a nice way to get some pancakes on the breakfast table.

You know I absolutely love pancakes but I am not a fan of the flour that most recipes contain...even whole wheat, or rather, ESPECIALLY whole wheat now that I am in the throes of my wheat-free experiment.  So I decided to make up a batch with some whey based protein powder recently and am really happy with the results.

At the last minute I added a bit of baking powder and it really did make the cakes more fluffy, like a flour-based cake.  Use it or not, it is up to you.

If you like, use fat free milk and add a dash of vanilla instead of using the Almond Breeze. It will not change the N.I. by much.  Coconut Milk would be nice too, I think.


Flourless Whey Protein Pancakes
Makes 2 servings
  • 2 scoops vanilla whey protein powder
  • 1/2 cup egg whites
  • 2 Tbs vanilla unsweetened Almond Breeze
  • 2 Tbs ground flax seeds
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1 banana, mashed
  1. In a medium bowl, mix the protein powder, egg whites, Almond Breeze, flax seeds and cinnamon.
  2. Mash the banana in a separate, small bowl, then mix into the other ingredients. Stir until well combined. The mixture should not be too thick... add a tsp or 2 of water if it is.
  3. Coat a saucepan with non-stick spray and set over MEDIUM heat. Pour 1/4 of the mixture into the warm pan and spread till it is a circle about 4 - 5 inches in diameter.
  4. Let cook several minutes. You will see a bit of bubbling from underneath and the batter should lose its shine as it cooks. Leave till most the shine is gone and then gently flip over. Cook a couple of minutes more.
  5. Remove pancake to a plate and cover to keep warm.
  6. Cook the rest of the pancakes in the same manner.
  7. Top with fruit of your choice or syrup to serve.
Per serving of 2 pancakes, without toppings.
Weight Watchers P+ = 6.
Calories 233; Protein 32g; Carbohydrate 19g; Fat 5g; Fibre 4g.

Mash the banana till the biggest lumps are gone.


Combine the rest of the ingredients together in a medium bowl, then add the banana and mix.


Serve with berries and a bit of syrup... Mmmm.

Just an added note... I recently made these with chocolate protein powder and they were wonderful.... AND I also made a batch, leaving out the mashed banana and they turned out pretty well.  So, if you don't have a banana on hand, go ahead and try them anway.

5 comments:

  1. Of course I love this recipe :-) Thank you again for sharing it on my blog as well. Hope you're having a wonderful day, thank you too for the kind words.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness, I love the sound of this recipe and can't wait to make it! Thanks SO much for sharing. I always look for new ways to cook with protein powder.

    ReplyDelete
  3. MMm, they look delicious! Already had breakfast today, but pinning it for another morning!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look amazing! As a self-proclaimed pancake connoisseur, I can't wait to try these.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whey Protein Powder- Whey Protein Powder is a source of Amino Acid. It is a good source of branched-chain-amino acids (BCCA's) which helps to stimulate protein synthesis. Whey Protein Powder can be added in the food as well. It boosts up energy to work hard and helps to improve performance. It is considered to be the best supplement for those who desires to build healthy muscles. It is a absolute blend of essential and non-essential amino acids. Whey Protein Powder acts as a muscle building formula. It comprise of high calcium content which is good for the healthy bones. It helps us to burn fat and reduces the extra fat that can be stored in the body. It is perfect for those who wish to lose their weight while building muscles.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a comment.