Tuesday, July 03, 2012

Beautiful Bok Choy Stir Fry

I put this bok choy stir fry together for dinner recently when I needed something quick! We have been having incredibly busy days lately... still furnishing and decorating our new apartment, and organizing, and also spending time at the marina getting the Spring cleaning done on the sloop.  We are driving back and forth and all over the city and meal prep is taking a back seat.

Luckily, I had a pork loin cooked and chilling in the refrigerator and The Captain sliced it up for me while I cut some bok choy from our container garden, and got some other ingredients ready.

This Asian-flavored dish turned out really well... I love sesame oil and the smokiness it brings to any stir fry dish or salad dressing.  I don't cook with it, but add it at the end just to heat it up.

Of course you could lighten it up by using fewer cashews or even less oil, but don't forget that we need healthy oils along with our veggies to help absorb the antioxidants they provide.

I hope this will inspire you to ty some bok choy in your own kitchen soon.  It is so nutritious!


Beautiful Bok  Choy Stir Fry
Makes 2 servings
  • 6 ounces pork loin, cooked, chilled and cut into narrow slivers
  • 2 tsp vegetable oil
  • 3 bunches bok choy, washed and separated
  • 1/4 cup onions, sliced
  • 3 medium mushrooms, sliced
  • 1/2 orange bell pepper, slivered
  • 2 cloves garlic, peeled, smashed, and minced
  • 2 Tbs reduced sodium soy sauce
  • 1 tsp sesame oil
  • Few red pepper flakes
  • 1 Tbs lemon juice
  • 2 tsp grated ginger
  • 1 ounce salted cashews
  1. Prepare bok choy by cutting the white stems into 1/2 to 3/4 inch lengths, and the leaves in half.
  2. Mix the soy sauce, sesame oil, red pepper flakes, lemon juice and ginger together in a small bowl and set aside.
  3. Heat 2 tsp vegetable oil in a large skillet or wok on MEDIUM.
  4. Add sliced onion and cook till tender, about 3 or 4 minutes.
  5. Add the chunks of white bok choy stems, the mushroom and pepper slices, and the minced garlic.
  6. Cook, stirring frequently till tender, about 3 or 4 minutes.
  7. Add the bok choy leaves  and cook another minute till leaves have wilted.
  8. Add pork slivers and stir so they warm through.
  9. Add the soy sauce mixture and stir well.
  10. Remove from heat and divide between 2 plates.
  11. Top each plate with 1/2 ounce of cashews.
  12. Serve while hot.
Per serving.
Weight Watchers P+ = 10.
Calories 363; Protein 31g; Carbohydrate 18g; Fat 20g; Fibre 4g.


Add bok choy leaves after the other veggies are cooked...


and stir to combine.


Stir in pork and sauce and heat through.  Beautiful!




1 comment:

  1. I want to try this - it looks amazing! I just don't know if I can have bok choy with some of my medications. I am going to check and I really hope I can!!!

    Thanks for all of your wonderful recipes. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a comment.