But we don't always want to spend a lot of our daily calorie allotment, or P+ values on a bowl of soup so here are a few ideas that I have come up with, for us to have our soup and hang onto our P+ for more hearty fare.
These soups are quick and easy and also nutritious as they help boost our vegetable count for the day.
Beef Broth and Bok Choy
For 2 servings:
- 1 beef bullion cube
- 2 cups water
- 2 large leaves bok choy
- Slice the bok choy into pieces about 1/2 inch wide.
- Boil the water in a medium saucepan and reduce heat till it is simmering.
- Add the thick white ends of the bok choy and the bullion cube to the water, and stir till the cube is dispersed.
- Add the leafy pieces of bok choy and let cook about 2 more minutes.
- Remove from heat and ladle into 2 bowls.
You could drizzle in a couple of Tbs of egg white while the broth is steaming to add some protein to this soup, and increase the P+ value to 1.
Sweet Potato and Chicken Broth
For 1 serving:
- 1 cup cooked sweet potato
- 1/4 chicken bullion cube
- 1/3 cup water
- Use leftover cooked sweet potato or cook small potato in microwave oven and peel when cool enough to handle.
- Heat water and bullion cube together in a small sauce pan till cube dissolves.
- Add sweet potato and heat through.
- Remove from heat and whizz with immersion blender or mix with potato masher.
- Pour into serving bowl and add a dollop of fat free yogurt or sour cream and a dash of cinnamon if you like.
This idea works with all kinds of vegetables... squash, carrots, potatoes zucchini... a great way to use up leftovers and get in some extra veggies.
Would love to see your ideas for quick and easy and low P+ soups.