Wednesday, July 06, 2011

A Family Favorite - My Sister's Borscht

I have never tasted borscht that is as good as what my Sister makes. Over the past several years, I have tried many recipes... vegetarian, with beef, or with just beef stock... but they just don't cut it.  Hers is simply the best.

On a recent visit, my dear Sister offered to make a batch, so that I could see how she does it.  I really enjoy being in the kitchen with her, and it was a rare treat to chat and chop veggies together... The borscht was as delicious as what I remembered.  And, the secret is the pork, I think. 

Apparently this soup freezes well, and I can attest to the fact that it really tastes even better after sitting in the fridge overnight.  It makes a hearty, homey meal.  Enjoy!



My Sister's Best Borscht
Makes 6 servings
  • 1 pound lean stewing pork, cut into 1 inch chunks
  • 2 tsp canola oil
  • 6 cups water
  • dashes of salt and pepper
  • 2 small red or white potatoes, unpeeled
  • 1 large stalk celery
  • 2 large carrots
  • 1 medium onion
  • 2 large beets, peeled
  • greens from both beets
  • 1 cup cabbage, chopped quite fine
  1. Saute the chunks of pork in the oil, turning often to make sure they brown evenly.
  2. Add 6 cups of water, along with a dash of salt and pepper.  Bring to boil, and then turn down heat and let simmer for about 1-1/2 to 2 hours, until meat is tender.
  3. While meat is cooking, cut vegetables into 1 inch pieces, and set aside.
  4. When meat is tender, add cut vegetables to the pot and cook another 2 hours.
  5. To serve, ladle into bowls and top with sour cream.
Per serving, without sour cream.
Weight Watchers P+ = 5.
Calories 197; Protein 19g, Carbohydrate 17g, Fat 6g, Fibre 3g.

Note:
Cut the chunks of meat and veggies any size you like.  And, you could puree some after it has cooked, for a smoother texture.

Chopped veggies, set aside


A peek at the simmering goodness!


Dished up and ready to enjoy.


2 comments:

  1. I love posts with stories. Nice image of family recipes and techniques being passed around.

    That's why we blog! Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad to hear it freezes well. This is getting bookmarked for my next round of soup cooking for a freezer stash. Yum!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a comment.