Monday, June 13, 2011

Funny Fiddleheads

Being a gardener, I am always eager to see the young fern shoots come up out of the ground in the Spring... watching them unfurl and become leaves is so interesting to me.

I had never considered eating them!  I didn't know you could eat them.

But we found some fiddleheads in our favorite produce market this week and decided to try them.  The Captain has heard that they are delicious with butter and lemon juice... sounded very appealing.  So we brought them home.



I washed them very thoroughly and then boiled them in lightly salted water for 10 minutes, and then drained them.  It is very important to make sure they are thoroughly cooked before you eat them.

Meanwhile I mixed about 2 tsp of butter with 1 tsp of lemon juice.  Then I tossed the lemon butter into the cooked fiddleheads and served them hot.



Mmmmm.  Sorta like fresh asparagus.

The nutritional information shows that they have good amounts of Vitamins A and C. And Weight Watchers says they are a zero point vegetable. 

Per 3 ounce serving, fiddleheads alone.
Weight Watchers P+ =1.
Calories 31; Protein 4g; Carbohydrate 5g; Fat <1g; Fibre 0g.

2 comments:

  1. I just saw Fiddleheads on an episode of Chopped the other night. I had never heard of them before! And thanks for your sweet comments!

    ReplyDelete
  2. mmm what a great idea Elle! I haven't had fiddlehead ferns since I was in culinary school!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a comment.