Sunday, June 05, 2011

'Frenched' Strawberry and Cream Cheese Sandwiches

One of my Weight Watcher pals mentioned something about a grilled strawberry and cream cheese pita yesterday... and today I decided to take that idea one step further and I created these 'Frenched' Strawberry and Cream Cheese Sandwiches.

The P+ values shown are for the ingredients I have used... it will vary depending on the bread, cheese, and milk used.  But the idea is so lovely.  It is rich and delicious and makes a pretty plate.  This is sure to become a weekend morning favorite, as long as fresh strawberries are available.



'Frenched' Strawberry and Cream Cheese Sandwiches
Makes 2 servings

  • 4 slices whole grain bread
  • 1 Laughing Cow cheese wedge
  • 1 large egg
  • 1/4 cup fat free milk
  • dash of cinnamon
  • 8 medium strawberries
  1. Break the egg into a bowl that is wide enough to lay your bread slices in.  Add the milk and cinnamon and whisk till frothy.  Set aside.
  2. Divide the cheese wedge in half.  Spread each half over a slice of the bread.  You will have 2 slices that are covered with cheese, and 2 that are left plain.
  3. Wash, hull, and slice the strawberries.
  4. Spray a saute pan with non-stick spray and set over medium heat.
  5. Take a slice of the bread that is covered with cheese and lay the opposite side into the egg mixture to absorb a bit of it into the bread.  Place the slice, egg-side down in the saute pan, and then cover the cheese with strawberry slices.
  6. Lay one side of a plain slice of bread into the egg mixture to coat and then cover the bread in the pan, egg side up.
  7. Let the sandwich cook a couple of minutes until browned, then carefully flip over and brown the second side.
  8. When it is done, set in a container to keep warm.  Repeat with the second sandwich.
  9. When both are cooked, plate and drizzle your favorite syrup or a bit of honey over the top.
Per serving, without syrup.
Weight Watchers P+ = 5.
Calories 213; Protein 9g; Carbohydrate 30g; Fat 6g; Fibre 5g.

Note:
Any kind of  milk or non-dairy milk will work in this recipe.
Substitute 2 egg whites for the egg.
If using soft cream cheese, about 1 Tbs should be enough.



Waiting to be covered with the plain, egg-dipped slice of bread.


After flipping in the pan.


Pretty and delicious.

5 comments:

  1. What a great idea! I love it! I've done peanut butter and jelly as french toast but I love laughing cow cheese. I've done it in pancakes with blueberries, but this sounds delish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We must be on the same wave length. I was thinking of trying PB&J next.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ohh that looks wonderful. I have been neglecting my french toast for smoothies and overnight oats but I do miss it!

    So clever that you used laughing cow cheese, its so creamy and delicious but yet light! :)

    Thanks Elle! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks. Yes, I agree. I quit buying cream cheese when I discovered Laughing Cow.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a comment.