Sunday, May 08, 2011

Carrot Cake Oatmeal

This Carrot Cake Oatmeal does involve a bit of work in grating the carrot... but you could use pre-shredded carrot if you have it on hand.

I came across this recipe on Fitness Health and Food and just knew I would have to try it.  I doubled these ingredients so we could both enjoy it.  I did make a couple of changes so here is my version.



Carrot Cake Oatmeal
Makes 1 serving
  • 1/2 cup old-fashioned oats
  • 1/2 cup original Almond Breeze
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1 large carrot, shredded (about 1/2 cup)
  • 2 tbsp raisins
  • 2 dashes cinnamon
  • 2-3 drop vanilla extract 
  • 1 packet of Splenda (optional)

  1. Place the oats, milk, and water in a saucepan and heat over medium until simmering. Turn down heat to low and cook for 3 minutes.
  2. Meanwhile, shred the carrot.
  3. After the oats have simmered for 3 minutes, add the shredded carrot, raisins, and cinnamon to the pan. Cook for another 3 minutes.
  4. Cook to desired consistency, then turn off heat and add the vanilla extract and Splenda.  Stir to blend.
  5. Transfer to a bowl, and top with your favorites... yogurt, nut butter, or honey.
Per serving, not including additional toppings.
Weight Watchers P+ = 6.
Calories 248; Protein 7g; Carbohydrate 48g; Fat 4g; Fibre 7g.

Note:
You can leave out the Splenda if you don't use sweeteners
You can use any kind of milk, and if you prefer, use 1 cup of milk and leave out the water

Assembling the ingredients.


The milk and oats are starting to steam.


Save a bit of grated carrot for garnish.


The carrot adds a bit of color to the milk as it cooks.


Garnished and ready.


With a bit of yogurt alongside.



4 comments:

  1. YUM! I am loving all the new "add-ins" for oats I am coming across!! thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea! I bet that is really good! I'm making the lemon pie tonight! Can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks lovely! The addition of yogurt is a wonderful idea :) I am so glad that you like it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yummy! This is a great idea! Maybe even better than pumpkin puree! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a comment.