Sunday, April 03, 2011

Heavenly Butter Chicken without Butter or Cream

I have never eaten much authentic Indian food.  But, when one of my friends suggested her low-fat method for something she loves, called Butter Chicken, I decided to investigate.

Butter Chicken, it seems, is traditionally made, not only with butter, but with heavy cream.  My goodness - that doesn't sound like something I would ever try, but I do trust my friend's judgment and take her food recommendations very seriously.

It turns out this dish is absolutely delicious and the chicken practically melts in your mouth.  There is ample sauce so I serve it over brown rice or barley, and in a bowl.  Farro or wheat berries might work nicely, too.  I think that quinoa or couscous would get lost in the heavy, rich tasting sauce.



Butter Chicken without Butter or Cream
Makes 2 hearty servings
  • 1 cup onion, sliced vertically
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 tsp coconut oil
  • 2 - 4 ounce chicken breasts, raw, cut into 1 inch cubes
  • 14 ounces (1/2 large can) canned, crushed tomatoes
  • 200 ml (1/2 can) light coconut milk
  • 1 Tbs Patak's Butter Chicken Curry Paste

1. Saute onions and garlic in oil till soft.
2. Add diced chicken breasts and cook through.
3. Add crushed tomatoes.
5. Add coconut milk.
6. Add 1 Tbs of Patak's Butter Chicken Curry Paste.
7. Bring to a boil and then turn down to low and let simmer until ready to serve.
8. Serve over grain of choice.

Make sure to use all the sauce.  The grains will soak it up.

Per serving, not including the grains.
Weight Watchers P+ = 6.
Calories 247; Protein 26g; Carbohydrate 22g; Fat 6g; Fibre 4g.

Note:
If I don't have crushed tomatoes on hand, I use diced, and whiz them with my immersion blender.  Works just as well in this recipe.


The Captain likes a few salted cashews on top of his.

2 comments:

  1. I'm saving this one. Yum!!! as usual.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YES! We just had your shrimp curry the other night (again!). This is the next curry dish I am going to cook - I can't wait!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a comment.