Wednesday, March 30, 2011

It's Rich All Right!

I have a couple of cans of low-fat sweetened condensed milk that need to be used or tossed.  Why I ever bought them is beyond me now, but today I went hunting for a recipe... and found something on About.com called Peanut Butter Oat-meal Bars, that has both my favorite food groups - chocolate and peanut butter! 

I wanted something that is more of a dessert than a bar so I baked it in a 9 inch round pan for about 15 minutes longer than called for, and I also added vanilla to the milk and peanut butter mixture.  Here is my version.  I think I gained a pound just mixing the ingredients...



Chocolaty Peanut Butter Oatmeal Dream 
  • 1 can (14 oz.) fat-free sweetened condensed milk
  • 1/2 cup natural peanut butter
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1 cup white flour
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 2 cups quick cooking rolled oats
  • 1 cup brown sugar
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 3/4 cup butter, cut into chunks 
  • 1 cup semi-sweet mini chocolate chips
  1. Mix sweetened condensed milk, vanilla, and peanut butter then set aside.
  2. Combine brown sugar, flour, oatmeal, soda, salt and butter. Mix well. (I like to use my hands for this to make sure the butter is evenly distributed throughout.  It should be mealy when completely mixed.)
  3. Pat 1/2 of mixture in lightly greased 9 inch baking dish.
  4. Drizzle with peanut butter mixture. Sprinkle with chocolate chips. Top with remaining crumbs, and pat lightly.
  5. Bake about 35 minutes at 350°F. Watch carefully and take care not to overbake.
This is so rich, a couple of spoonfuls is about all I can eat at one sitting,  so that would be about 1/24th of the whole thing - approximately 3 Tbs.


Weight Watchers P+ = 7.
Calories 232; Protein = 4g; Carbohydrate 30g; Fat 12g; Fibre 2g

The Captain has been having his with a splash of Trader Joe's organic vanilla soymilk on it.  OMG!  Waaaay too good.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving me a comment.