Saturday, October 29, 2016

An Odd But Tasty Pairing of Peppermint with Avocado in this Protein Mousse

You may know that I have been looking for a new whey protein powder.  I do happen to really like the vegan powders I have been using lately, but sometimes a particular recipe I want to make up calls for a whey powder.  The vegan and whey powders are very different beasts when it comes to consistency for baking.

I tried to make my High Protein Angel Cake with a favorite pea protein powder and it did not raise at all.

So, I went hunting for a whey powder that I could purchase locally; one that didn't cost a fortune and when I found a couple I thought I might like, I polled some blogging friends and they helped me decide. I did a lot of research into isolates, and blends too. There is a lot to learn when it comes to protein powders, apparently!

The powder I eventually chose is a brand called LeanFit and they manufacture in Canada. It is a whey blend and does have a bit of sucralose in the mix.  Overall I am pretty  happy with the nutritional profile and the taste and texture, as well as the price.  I got it at my local Costco and purchased a large tub of the vanilla and a large tub of the chocolate. So far, so good.

And, I also subscribed to the newsletter that the team at LeanFit send out by email. The letter I got this week had a couple of good looking recipes in it and I chose one to try out... it was intriguing because it has both peppermint extract and avocado in it and that is an odd combination in my mind.

The dish is called Mint Avocado Protein Mousse... the recipe makes 2 servings so I mixed it up for my afternoon snack on Friday.  I ate one serving and was happy to share the second with The Captain... he loved it as much as I do.  And asked me to make it again.

I will certainly do that, as long as I am able to purchase more avocados.  Apparently there has been some weather mishap in Mexico that is causing an avocado shortage here.  Glad I have 2 more in the larder so we won't go without right way, at least.

I am going to share the recipe with you the way I made it,  and also suggest that you check out some other fun recipes on the LeanFit site itself.


Mint Avocado Protein Mousse

Mint Avocado Protein Mousse
makes 2 servings

Ingredients:

  • 1 ripe medium/small avocado
  • 1 scoop vanilla whey protein powder (approx. 30g in weight)
  • scant 1/2 cup water
  • 1 tsp stevia
  • 2 or 3 drops peppermint extract
  • 1 tsp semi sweet mini chocolate chips
Instructions:
  1. Peel the avocado and remove the pit. Place the flesh into the bowl of your food processor blender.
  2. Add the rest of the ingredients.
  3. Puree for about 30 seconds.
  4. Remove to 2 serving bowls
  5. Top each serving with a few chocolate chips.
Per serving.
Weight Watchers Smart Points = 4.

Calories 147
Fat 9g
Saturated Fat 2g
Carbohydrates 7g
Sugar 2g
Fibre 3g
Protein 13g

I think I will try it again with the chocolate flavored whey.

Mint Avocado Protein Mousse
The main ingredients

Mint Avocado Protein Mousse
A small ramekin filled with deliciousness!


Mint Avocado Protein Mousse
Digging in.


What do you think?  Would you ever pair peppermint with avocado?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving me a comment.