Thursday, October 22, 2015

The Ultimate English Muffin, Gluten Free and Grain Free

This recipe for my Ultimate English Muffin is one that I have been fine tuning and tweaking for the past several weeks.  I am finally satisfied that I have it right and am ready to share it. Actually, I am very excited to share it because I think it fills a real need for many of us.  It certainly has for me.

I have been living gluten free (or as much as possible) for a couple of years now, and mostly grain free, too. I have tried a few of the gluten free breads and rolls on the market and even though I have found a couple that are acceptable in taste and texture, I just don't think that all those substitute 'flours' are good for me on any kind of a regular basis.  I really don't want to eat all those carbs either. And let's not even discuss how expensive they are!

But let's be honest.  Occasionally I like to have a sandwich.  Even though my Low Carb Flatbread and Low Carb Tortillas are great, I don't always have some on hand... or thawed, as I do store them in the freezer.  I needed to come up with something new made from ingredients I normally have in the cupboard and fridge, and that make up quickly and without a lot of fuss.

These little faux English Muffins fill the bill.  I have decided to call them Ultimate English Muffins because I am using a bit of North Coast Naturals Ultimate Daily Cleanse to give them a bit of body... NCN sent me this product several months ago to sample and test, and I have been using it a lot ever since.  You can use either ground flax seed or psyllium husk (or a bit of both).  I have tested the recipe with both and it is just fine.

However, here is a bit of a warning.  Don't leave out the olive oil. They don't work. And don't use coconut oil either. I tried it. Fail.  For some reason coconut oil doesn't mix well with the hot water and cold egg whites.

I am really pleased with the texture of these little muffins.  I have eaten them untoasted and also toasted, and I prefer the latter.  They could be dressed up with the addition of cinnamon or savory herbs, I am sure.

I use a glass container to cook them in the mike. It is about 3-1/2 inches in diameter. I think you could use something a bit smaller if you like... but anything bigger will make them too thin to slice easily.

I would love to know what you think if you give them a try... and I hope you will if you are looking for a gluten free, grain free English Muffin.


Ultimate English Muffin by @WeCanBegin2Feed


Ultimate English Muffin
Makes 1 muffin
  • 1/4 cup egg whites
  • 1 Tbs hot water
  • 1 tsp olive oil
  • 1 Tbs coconut flour
  • 1 tsp North Coast Naturals Ultimate Daily Cleanse (or flax seed or psyllium husk)
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  1. Beat the egg whites, water, and olive oil in a medium bowl.
  2. Add the coconut flour, Ultimate Daily Cleanse, and baking powder.
  3. Beat again. The coconut flour will thicken as it absorbs the moisture.
  4. Pour batter into microwave safe dish.
  5. Cook in the mike for 2 minutes.
  6. Remove the muffin from the dish with a spatula and turn out onto a cooling rack for several minutes.
  7. Slice in half and toast if desired.
Per serving.
Weight Watchers P+ = 3.

Calories 109
Fat 6.1g
Sat. Fat 1.7g
Carbohydrates 6.1g
Sugar .5g
Fibre 3.4g
Protein 7.3g

Did you notice a change in the way I have reported the Nutritional Information for this recipe?

Starting with this recipe, I am offering more N.I. details than I previously have. I have been reading more and more lately about how important it is for us to reduce sugar and saturated fats in our diet (Zero Belly Diet by David Zinczenko) so I am going to report those statistics for my recipes.  I use either Fit Day or My Fitness Pal to do my calculations so they are as accurate as I can make them, based on the ingredients I quote.

UPDATE

Weight Watchers released their new SmartPoints food program on December 6th, 2015. It also concentrates on saturated fat and sugar, so I wanted to share the SmartPoints values for this recipe as well.


Per serving.
Weight Watchers SmartPoints = 3.

Calories 109
Fat 6.1g
Sat. Fat 1.7g
Carbohydrates 6.1g
Sugar .5g
Fibre 3.4g
Protein 7.3g



Ultimate English Muffin
Before popping into the mike.

Ultimate English Muffin
And after cooking.

Ultimate English Muffin
Cook on rack for a few minutes before slicing.

Ultimate English Muffin
After slicing....

Ultimate English Muffin
and toasting.

Ultimate English Muffin
These are toasted a bit more.

Ultimate English Muffin
With a bite gone so you can see the inner texture.

Ultimate English Muffin
And the ultimate breakfast sandwich!

Printable Recipe

What do you think? Is this something you might like to try?


13 comments:

  1. Who knew that making homemade English Muffins was so easy?!?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gosh, the picture of the ultimate breakfast sandwich is making me hungry! This would be great!!! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooo I'd love to try this!!! Thank you for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have made something similar a long time ago- NEED to give this a try though- looks delicious! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd love to try these! I don't have a microwave though, so I'll have to wait until I get one! :( Maybe I can try at a friend's place ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh, I have some coconut flour I need to use. I've totally got to try this. They look yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I can't wait to try this! I love english muffins, but I gave them up when I started eating gluten free. Yay. Thanks Elle.

    ReplyDelete
  8. you can't taste the olive oil in it? I remember i tried making brownies with olive oil once and it tasted like olives lol these look good though!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This has my name written ALL over it! I would totally eat tooooo much though and get a crazy bloated tummy, ha ha ha! But well worth it! ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a comment.