Wednesday, March 05, 2014

Grain Free Butternut Squash Pancakes

I made these Butternut Squash Pancakes a few days ago, to use up some cooked, leftover butternut squash that was in my fridge.   And they were so good,  I made them again! I know they would be very similar with cooked and mashed sweet potato, or even canned pumpkin. They were delicious and quite filling, with the almond meal and bit of coconut flour, and whole eggs.  

Yes, it’s a hearty breakfast that will certainly keep you satisfied till lunch.  You might even prefer it for a weekend brunch.

Coconut flours vary so the amount of almond milk required to get the batter to the right consistency may change from time to time. I really think that the amount of humidity in the air makes a difference when using coconut flour. The first time I made them I used only 2 Tbs of almond milk.. the second time I needed 3 Tbs.


Butternut Squash Pancakes

Butternut Squash Pancakes
Makes 1 serving
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 Tbs almond meal
  • 2 tsp coconut flour 
  • 1/2 cup cooked and mashed butternut squash 
  • 2 - 4 Tbs almond milk
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  1. Beat the eggs till frothy in a medium bowl.
  2. Add the almond meal, butternut squash, coconut flour and cinnamon.  Mix well.
  3. Add 2 Tbs of the almond milk and mix. If the batter seems too thick, add more, 1 Tbs at a time till desired consistency… not too runny.
  4. Set your non-stick skillet on the stove top over MEDIUM-HIGH heat.
  5. Using a 1/4 cup measure, spoon the batter into the pan. Cook for about 3 or 4 minutes, then flip and cook the second side.
  6. Remove to serving plate and keep warm till 5 pancakes are cooked.
  7. Serve with toppings of your choice. 
Per serving, without toppings.
Weight Watchers P+ = 8.
Calories 286; Protein 17g; Carbohydrate 16g; Fat 18g; Fibre 5g.

Butternut Squash Pancakes 001 
My pan only has room for 2 cakes at a time.


Butternut Squash Pancakes 003
Flip, and cook the second side.


Butternut Squash Pancakes 004
I topped mine with banana slices and a bit of syrup.  Nut butter would be good too, or some coconut shreds.


6 comments:

  1. Oh yum. Yesterday was national pancake day and I totally missed the memo...so these are a wonderful idea. I can't miss out on pancakes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Coconut flour and butternut squash, MMMMMM!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the idea of these pancakes. They sound so healthy and still delicious. I wonder if flax eggs would work instead of the real ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet flax eggs would be fine. I would add a bit of baking powder too to make them a bit fluffy if I was using flax eggs.

      Delete
  4. Looks yummy - of course! Pancakes! I still haven't experimented with coconut flour. I need to get on that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum!!! Never even thought of putting butternut squash in pancakes but these look awesome!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a comment.