Sunday, December 01, 2013

Cauliflower Coconut Soup, 4 Ways to Spice it Up

Since I gave up eating grains at the beginning of year, I have been eating a lot of cauliflower!  Lots and lots of Cauliflower Rice and cauliflower-based Low Carb Tortillas.  I had almost forgotten that it is a tasty vegetable to be enjoyed as such.

The Captain has gotten into the habit of buying huge heads of fresh cauliflower whenever he finds them in our local markets, so I am now trying to come up with different ways to use them up!  And because he thinks he doesn’t even like cauliflower himself, I am trying to find ways for him to enjoy it too.

This soup really fills the bill.

Use a veggie broth if you want a vegan option... I like to use homemade turkey broth in mine.

Cauliflower Coconut Soup
Makes 4 servings
  • 2 tsp coconut oil
  • 4 cloves garlic, peeled, smashed and minced
  • 6 ounces chopped white onion
  • 1 large head fresh cauliflower
  • 3 cups chicken stock
  • 1/2 can (200 ml) coconut milk 
  1. Cut the stem and leaves off the head of cauliflower and then break into florets. Wash and set aside.
  2. Melt the coconut oil in a large soup pot over MEDIUM heat and then add the onions and garlic.
  3. Saute about 10 minutes until the onions become translucent, stirring occasionally so they do not brown.
  4. Add the cauliflower and chicken stock.  Simmer for 45 minutes or until cauliflower is cooked through and soft.
  5. Remove from heat and stir in the coconut milk.
  6. Puree with immersion blender or in batches in regular blender, and add a bit of salt to taste.
  7. Serve plain or season to your liking.
This soup is creamy, thick, rich… no strong flavor of cauliflower or coconut, at all.  Just delicious and lovely on your tongue!  I made up a batch of plain soup and then each time I ate a bowl, I changed up the seasonings to see what I could come up with.

The first bowl I ate quite plain, with a bit of fresh cilantro and salt and pepper.

Nov 16 cauli soup 001


I added some crumbled bacon and freshly ground pepper to the second bowl.

Nov 8 cauli soup with bacon 001


I ate the third bowl with a few dashes of curry powder mixed in.

P1040421

And the fourth bowl, I sprinkled with nutmeg and cloves… a bit of a holiday feel.

P1040427

The Captain tasted each one and agreed that he would actually like to have a bowl for himself.  Guess I had better get another batch on the stove soon.  His other comment was that it was similar to a potato soup… that is how creamy and thick it is.

And I should add, that it also freezes quite nicely... doesn't change the texture at all.

Per serving.
Weight Watchers P+ = 3.
Calories 128 ; Protein 7g; Carbohydrate 15g; Fat 6g; Fibre 5g.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds AMAZING! I'm all over soups lately, so I'll definitely be whipping something like this together soon! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a comment.