I have come to really love the combination of coconut milk and curry. This dish was thrown together yesterday. It was a full day and I wanted to make use of my slow cooker in order to free up my afternoon… and it is delicious. I know the name is long... Curried Slow Cooker Coconut Chicken Stew... quite a mouthful.... but hey, it matches the dish!
It is only a mild curry so if you are not a voracious fan, like I have become, it would suit you nicely. If you like a hotter curry, add more powder to the mix.
And it smelled wonderful while it cooked away all afternoon. At dinnertime, all I had to do was put a couple of small white potatoes in the mike for The Captain… he chose them over rice for a change. And for me, half a baked spaghetti squash… lately I have been baking a couple of squashes in the oven at the same time so I will have some ready to reheat on the fly when I am in a hurry to get dinner on the table.
Sound good? Here is my recipe… hope you will give it a try. Of course you can use a lower fat version of coconut milk here, and if you don’t use baby carrots, just cut up some large ones into 1/2-inch chunks. A yellow or orange pepper would be nice as well.
Makes 6 servings
- 1 Tbs coconut oil
- approximately 1-1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut in 1-inch cubes
- 2 cups baby carrots
- 3 cups sliced white onions
- 1 red pepper, cut in large slivers
- 5 cloves garlic, peeled, smashed and minced
- 1 Tbs grated fresh ginger root
- 1-1/2 cups chicken
- 200 ml (1/2 can) coconut milk
- 1 Tbs curry powder
- dash of salt
- drizzle of lemon juice
- fresh cilantro to garnish
- Melt coconut oil in large skillet over MEDIUM-HIGH heat. Add the chicken pieces and cook till browned, about 5 or 6 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Meanwhile layer carrots, onions, red pepper, garlic and ginger in the slow cooker.
- Mix the broth, coconut milk, curry powder, and dash of salt together in a medium bowl and then pour over the contents of the slow cooker.
- Cover slow cooker and set to LOW for 5 to 6 hours.
- Serve with a drizzle of lemon juice and fresh cilantro to garnish.
Weight Watchers P+ = 5.
Calories 226; Protein 29g; Carbohydrate 14g; Fat 6g; Fibre 3g.
Everything in slow cooker and ready to cover and cook
All cooked and ready
Stir a bit to combine the ingredients and then serve
Over baked spaghetti squash for me... and baked potato for The Captain
Are you a curry fan? Do you use your slow cooker much?