Saturday, October 19, 2013

Asian Beef Slaw

In Canada our extra lean ground beef is not nearly as lean as what you can buy in the U.S…. I believe our leanest is 15% fat, as opposed to the 4% fat that I know I bought the few winters that we lived in WA state. 

But we do really like our Canadian beef products and so tend to buy in bulk when it is on sale… then I have to come up with new and interesting ways to serve it!

I made this Asian Beef Slaw recently.  It is prettty tasty and makes up very quickly and easily because I used a premixed bag of coleslaw… and when it was time for leftovers, I added some pineapple just to change it up a bit.  If you are chopping your own cabbage and carrots, you will need about 12 cups in total.

Asian Beef Slaw 

Asian Beef Slaw
Makes 4 servings

  • 1 pound extra lean ground beef
  • 1 cup chopped white or yellow onion
  • 4 cloves garlic, peeled, smashed and minced
  • 1 bag coleslaw mix
  • 1/4 cup tamari soy sauce or coconut aminos
  • 1/4 cup white or rice vinegar
  • 1/2 Tbs sesame oil
  1. Place ground beef in a large skillet on MEDIUM-HIGH setting.
  2. Stir occasionally till meat starts to brown and then add chopped onions and minced garlic to the pan.  Cook, stirring occasionally, till beef is cooked through, about 15 minutes.
  3. Add coleslaw mix, soy sauce and vinegar to the pan and cook only a few minutes, till cabbage is limp.
  4. Remove from heat and stir in sesame oil.
  5. Divide and serve.
Per serving.
Weight Watchers P+ = 8.
Calories 317; Protein 29g; Carbohydrate 18g; Fat 14g; Fibre 6g.

Oct 5 Asian Beef and Slaw 001



Do you have any favorite ground beef ideas or recipes you would like to share? You are welcome to leave a link in your comment.


Thank You!

5 comments:

  1. This looks delicious (again; how do you keep doing it???). I'll be pinning (and trying!) for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks delicious Elle! Thanks for sharing another one of your great recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks fantastic. Pinning. And making!

    ReplyDelete
  4. YUM! yay BEEF! funny the difference in the extra lean beef across the border. Ground beef recipes.. I got a few. I love using ground beef in beef and barley soup. Maybe one of my favorite things to do with it besides a burger.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much! I do hope you will like it... let me know!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a comment.