Sunday, August 11, 2013

Carrot ‘Hummus’

I love carrots and munch on then raw quite often.  I also like to steam them, and often use the leftovers in omelettes or on salads..  Carrot soup is a favorite, as are roasted carrots. 

I have had a large bag full of carrots in the refrigerator for a week or so.  I knew I had to use them soon or be prepared to get rid of them, and because it was kind of gloomy on Satruday morning when I was in the mood to cook, I though I would make soup… but then the sun came out, warm and bright, and I changed my mind and decided to make something cold instead.

This faux ‘hummus’ is quite delicious.  I love the texture of the cooked carrot pureed with just a bit of olive oil to make it silky and slippery on the tongue.  You could certainly play with the seasonings… I may try curry or ginger next time.  And perhaps more garlic. And yes, it is so good that there WILL be a next time.
Originally I though I might try coconut oil, but then decided that the non-taste of the olive oil might be a better fit… I was right.  I don’t think coconut oil would work here.

I know it going to be very nice with raw veggies as a dip, and The Captain will enjoy some with crackers and cheese, too.  I will also be using it as a topper for my morning omelets.  Mmmm.

Carrots are full of antioxidants and vitamins and are a good healthy source of carbohydrates too.  Eat your carrots… I am sure you Mother told you they are good for your eyesight!  I happen to think all orange things just taste good.

My recipe makes 2 cups of creamy and silky smooth ‘hummus’.  And I have been using it in a variety of ways.  I made some cute little canapes with slices of mini cucumbers, and have also spooned it on top of my lunch salad, in place of a dressing.  It is very flavorful and really pretty too!

Aug 10 More Carrot Dip 001

Carrot ‘Hummus’
Makes 2 cups
  • 1 pound of raw carrots, peeled and cut into 1 inch lengths
  • Juice from 1 small lemon
  • 1 or 2 cloves garlic, peeled, smashed and minced
  • 1 Tbs olive oil
  • 1/4 tsp ground cumin
  • 1/4 tsp ground coriander
  • dashes of salt and pepper
  1. Cook the carrots in boiling water approximately 15 minutes.
  2. Drain the water and allow the carrots to cool for a few minutes.
  3. Place the carrots, garlic, and lemon juice in the bowl of your food processor or blender and pulse several times until carrots chunks are broken.
  4. Add the olive oil and spices and puree till smooth.
  5. Remove to a storage container and chill until ready to use.
  6. Store leftovers in the refrigerator.
Per 1/4 cup serving.
Weight Watchers P+ = 1.
Calories 46; Protein 1g; Carbohydrate 8g; Fat 2g; Fibre 2g.

Aug 10 Carrot Dip 001
Remove the peel from the carrots for the silkiest ‘hummus’ texture.

Aug 10 Even More Carrot Dip 001
Pulse a few times to break up carrots and then add seasonings and olive oil.

Aug 10 Carrot Dip 002Puree till smooth.

Aug 10 Carrot Dip 003
Chill a couple of hours before serving.

Aug 11 Carrot Dip 001
Serve on salad in place of dressing… and those cherry tomatoes are the first of my season’s harvest!


4 comments:

  1. I love this idea! Alternative hummus is the best - I do a butternut one. Must try carrot next! Love anything orange. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful idea! I also have TONS of carrots around and my freezer is stocked of pureed carrots for a lot of my baking or sauces. I think I will be making this hummus though tonight and will love it on my lunch sandwiches or veggie dip!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually don't really like carrots......... However, this idea/concept is intriguing to me! What other veggies would you recommend. Laura does this with butternut squash, but I am thinking a veggie a little less sweet?

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh gosh, i would eat this alone. Hand me a spoon!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a comment.