Thursday, April 11, 2013

Guilt-Free Chips

Do you ever crave a salty, crunchy snack?

Do you love potato chips but feel guilty about eating them?

Here are some ways you can still get that crunchy, crispy chip texture, and salty flavor, without the guilt!

I have been asked several times over the past few weeks about the different veggie chips that I make and talk about so I decided to share them with you.  I cannot take credit for all of these ideas though so I am going to post links to the original recipes and instructions…. I just really want to share the ideas with you here.

The very easiest are these Eggplant Chips. I like to slice them just under 1/4 inch thick and then bake them.  Spritz them with a bit of olive oil and salt before baking.  They are really easy and very good!  The dark spots on the baked chips are where I sliced them a bit thin but they are still tasty, they just don’t LOOK as good.  I know there is a pesto dip recipe there too, which I plan to try after my cilantro grows a bit more!


Mar 23 eggplant chips 001

Mar 23 eggplant chips 002

Mar 23 eggplant chips 003

Mar 23 eggplant chips 004

I make Sweet Potato Chips the same way.  I don’t have a mandolin slicer, so I get The Captain to use his more-developed-than-mine patience muscle to slice through the thick sweet potatoes.  The key is get thin and uniform-in-thickness slices. 

If you can manage to leave them alone till they cool somewhat, they are even tastier.  Sometimes I have them with ketchup…Mmmmmm.

Apr 6 Sweet Potato Chips 002

Apr 6 Sweet Potato Chips 003

Apr 6 Sweet Potato Chips 005

Apr 6 Sweet Potato Chips 004

Gabby’s Carrot Chips are honestly somewhat fiddly, and they don’t yield a lot, but they are really tasty so if you have some time and patience, give them a try.  The addition of the cinnamon works!


Feb 8 Carrot Chips 003

Feb 8 Carrot Chips 004

Feb 8 Carrot Chips 006

Oh, and I almost forgot…. Kale Chips are so easy and so tasty, too.  Just wash and sry the kale leaves, spritz with a bit of EVOO and salt  or nooch, and bake them for 15 minutes. I like them with a bit of homemade ketchup too!

April 16th Kale Chips 011

About a year and half ago, I picked up a little microwave crisper for veggies, and did a post about it.   It makes truly awesome veggie chips so if you have access to one of these inexpensive little devices, you can make your chips in a couple of minutes in the mike and completely fat free, if that appeals to you.  It is especially great for potatoes and sweet potatoes but I also made zuke chips with it and they turned out really well.

Sept18,11zukechips 002

I know that Kierston, who writes CaNdyFiT, also has a microwave crisper… a different one than I have and every time I walk by the display in the store, I think I should have one!  As a matter of fact, last year she did a review/giveaway about the time I first started reading her blog. 

There are a couple of other good looking chip recipes out there that I want to try… Gina’s Butternut Squash Chips look wonderful… and I have heard that beet chips are lovely too.

These veggie chips make good snacks and side dishes… and they are gluten-free, paleo, vegan, Whole30 friendly… use healthy oils, have tons of vitamins and antioxidants and are truly delicious.

What more could you want?

Oh, and for those of you who do eat white potatoes, of course we know those make splendid chips, too!

Do you make your own chips?  What veggie is your favorite?

6 comments:

  1. I love this idea! I've made apple chips in my dehydrator before, but that's about it. I've also heard good things about dehydrator kale chips, so I'm going to have to give those a try. I tried carrot chips that came in my Nature Box a few months ago and loved them. Need to give those a try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmm, so many great ideas! I've tried all of those except the eggplant chips... never thought of that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok Elle! You have me completely inspired! I'm totally making these this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Popcorn is my go to snack. You can season it with just about any herb or spice you like. I love cinnamon. I'm going to try some of the other veggie chip for a go to snack for my husband. He's loves his chips. He likes carrots and radishes. Hopefully he'll like them as chips as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE ME SOME VEGGIE CHIPS! I am obsessed with eggplant, kale, zucchini, butternut squash... anything that can be made into a chip :) The crunch factor is something I crave!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Send some my way! I am lazy & don't have the supplies! ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a comment.