Sunday, April 14, 2013

Avocado and Egg Boats with Kate’s Flax Toast

I am so excited about both of these ideas, and although I cannot take credit for either of them, I am eager to share them with you.  This morning I put them together for such a fun and different breakfast… fully satisfying, quite colorful, and absolutely nutritious and delicious.

You can not ask for more than that… although I know you will want more of this!  And I am especially delighted that The Captain loved it and asked that I make it again soon.

Let me tell you first about the baked avocado and egg… I saw a picture of this dish earlier this morning when I read spunkysuzi’s latest blog post.  I had a perfectly ripe avocado on the counter, and I knew instantly that this would be a fun way to use it.  And so simple.  Basically all you do is scoop the seed out of the avocado and crack and egg into it and bake it till the egg is cooked. 

I had never thought to eat a cooked avocado before and it is truly wonderful!  I didn’t have a recipe to follow, just the picture for inspiration so I made a recipe up and I will share it with you.

And my toast?

This is such a great idea, especially if you are looking for something grain free or gluten free. It is a mixture of milled flax, nutritional yeast, egg whites and baking powder.  It is cooked for a couple of minutes in the microwave oven, and then toasted.  This idea was originally given to me by my friend Kate, and we have gone back and forth playing with the recipe between the 2 of us and now that we have it down, I want to share it with you, with Kate’s approval, of course.

Baked Avocado with Egg
Makes 2 servings
  • 1 ripe avocado
  • 2 fresh eggs
  • 2 tsp bacon, cooked and crumbled (optional)
  • Salt and pepper for seasoning
  1. Preheat the oven to 400° F.
  2. Wash the avocado and then cut it in half.
  3. Scoop the seed out and discard it. (Or better yet, plant it!)
  4. Place the 2 pieces of avocado in a baking dish, cut side up.
  5. If the cavity is not large enough to hold an egg, scoop a bit of the flesh out and put it in a small dish to bake alongside.  Do this for each half of the avocado.
  6. Crack a fresh egg into each half, and put any excess egg white into the dish with the avocado flesh.
  7. Sprinkle a few pieces of cooked and crumbled bacon on top, if you are using.
  8. Place the avocados and the additional dish into the oven and bake till the eggs are done to your liking.  I baked ours for 15 minutes and the eggs were still quite runny so adjust your time accordingly.
  9. Remove from the oven and place each half on a plate. Serve with toast for spreading. Serve the additional avocado and egg white alongside.
Per serving, with 1 tsp bacon bits
Weight Watchers P+ = 4.
Calories 149; Protein6 g; Carbohydrate 4g; Fat 13g; Fibre 3g

Kate’s Flax Toast
Makes 2 servings
  • 2 Tbs milled flax seeds
  • 1 Tbs nutritional yeast flakes (nooch)
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/4 cup egg whites
  1. Put the egg whites in a small bowl and whisk with a fork till they get a bit frothy.
  2. Add the dry ingredients and stir.
  3. Pour the mixture into a microwave cooking dish that has been lightly coated with a non-stick spray…. the dish could be anywhere from 7 to 9 inches in diameter.
  4. Mike on HIGH for 2-1/2 minutes.
  5. Remove and allow to cool for a couple of minutes.
  6. Gently run a spatula around the edges of the cooked mixture to lift it out of the pan.
  7. Cut it in half and place the pieces in a toaster.
  8. Toast lightly for a minute or 2… watch it closely as it is thin and will burn easily.
  9. Remove to serving plate.
Per serving.
Weight Watchers P+ = 2.
Calories 72; Protein 5g; Carbohydrate 3g; Fat 4g; Fibre 2g
(I will save the other half and probably snack on it later, slathered with Almond Butter and mashed banana.)

Apr 14 Avocado egg and Flax toast 001 
Wash the avocado and then cut it in half.


Apr 14 Avocado egg and Flax toast 002
I like to use a spoon to scoop the seed out.


Apr 14 Avocado egg and Flax toast 003
Place the avocado pieces and extra avocado/egg whites into a baking dish and cook till the eggs are done to your liking.  You can sprinkle with bacon bits before or after baking.


Apr 14 Avocado egg and Flax toast 004
You could take the time to spread the mixture into a nice circle before cooking if you want.


Apr 14 Avocado egg and Flax toast 005
After it has cooked and cooled, use a spatula to remove it from the dish.


Apr 14 Avocado egg and Flax toast 006
I like runny eggs….


Apr 14 Avocado egg and Flax toast 007
My plate with Kate’s Flax Toast.


Apr 14 Avocado egg and Flax toast 008
The Captain’s plate with rye toast.


Apr 14 Avocado egg and Flax toast 009
The baked avocado and egg mixture spreads quite nicely.


Apr 14 Avocado egg and Flax toast 010
That is some of the excess baked avocado and egg white on my toast.


Apr 14 Avocado egg and Flax toast 011
And runny egg added… Mmmmm.

Have you ever tried these avocado and egg ‘boats’?

Have you eaten cooked avocado before?

4 comments:

  1. What a great idea! I've got to try this asap since I love eggs and avocado together. Mmmmm!

    ReplyDelete
  2. two of my favorite things together!! I love this idea. I never would have thought to bake an avocado. Can't wait to try this. I have a ripe avocado at home too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've seen these egg boats and they make me drool every time. I love avocado!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great idea! I LOVE avocado. I bet on toast, that mixture is divine.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a comment.