Monday, November 05, 2012

Egg White 'Cupcakes'

I am always looking for new and interesting and tasty ways to get more protein into me throughout the day, especially after a run or a sweaty strength/core exercise session.  Protein makes good recovery fuel!

According to fitsugar,  I should be eating around 80 to 85g of protein per day... that is a lot more than I have been eating.  So I am making a concerted effort to get in more...  more lean meats such as chicken, pork, tuna, salmon, eggs, egg whites, and also adding protein powders to my smoothies, and yogurts.  I have been making protein 'sludges' as well and really like to mix up new combinations of ingredients for them.

I recently found this post by  Chef Katelyn, and a fabulous recipe she calls The World’s Biggest {Baddest} Paleo MicroCake.  In case you are not familiar with the term 'paleo' it simply refers to a way of eating that eschews grains, legumes and dairy in favor of meat, most fruits and vegetables, some healthy fats, nuts, and seeds.

I would call this cupcake a Chocolate Souffle!  But whatever you want to call it, it is absolutely easy and delicious and very filling. 

I followed Katelyn's instructions to make the first one... using Splenda instead of the stevia powder she calls for, cause I don't have any... and it turned out just great!

The cupcake as it came out of the mike...
 

then cut in half to share with The Captain, topped with peanut butter...
 

and topped with yogurt... neither of which are paleo, but are delicious!
 

 
 
The Captain love it too, and commented from another room that he could smell the chocolate cooking.  Mmmmm...
 
For my Weight Watchers buddies... you are gonna love the N.I. on this because egg whites and unsweetened cocoa have such few calories and a lot of protein.
 
Per serving (1/2 of the cupcake no topping).
Weight Watchers P+ = 2.
Calories 79; Protein 14g;  Carbohydrate 6g; Fat 1g; Fibre 0g.
 
You don't even need to put any toppings on it if you don't want them.
 
The next afternoon I made it up again, without the cocoa... but used some cinnamon and a splash of vanilla instead!  Awesome.  This time I just put a bit of almond butter on the top.
 
The cinnamon rises to the top as the egg whites cook.
 
 
Divided in half and topped with almond butter, which is paleo!
 

 

 
Per serving (1/2 of the cupcake no topping).
Weight Watchers P+ = 1.
Calories 61; Protein 13g; Carbohydrate 1g; Fat 0g; Fibre 0g.
 
Basically all you have is 1/2 cup of egg whites with some seasoning... but look at all that protein! And you just cannot beat the taste.
 
You can easily halve the ingredients if you like  - I wouldn't cook more than I planned to eat and try to save the leftovers.
 
I am going to be making this a lot - and I hope you will give it a try.  Find the recipe and the instructions by Chef Katelyn, and leave her a nice comment to tell her I sent you! 
 
How do you get more protein into your day?
 
 



1 comment:

Thanks for leaving me a comment.