Thursday, November 15, 2012

Crock Pot Sesame Chicken

I first learned about this recipe a couple of weeks ago in a post by Jen at Running With the Girls, when she blogged about her menu plans for the week.  She linked to the recipe she uses for this dish.  I had a look at it, and made a few changes, so I am giving it to you here as I made it. 

I did a search for this recipe on the internet and found it on many blogs and no one seemed to have any real idea where it originated, so I am not giving any particular source credit for it. I am sure that versions of it have been around for some time.

It is delicious!  The chicken is succulent and tender and just melts in your mouth. It smells sooooo good while it is cooking.  And The Captain loved it and asked that we have it often.  I agree, it is very, very good. 

And it freezes very nicely too. When you thaw and reheat it, it tastes just as good as when it was first cooked.

I think next time, though, that I will add more onion to it.  The small amount here gets lost in the sauce and I really think it would be good if the onion was more prevalent alongside the chicken pieces.  I think I will use about half a medium onion, sliced vertically.

I hope you'll try it.






Crock Pot Sesame Chicken
Makes 6 servings.
  • 2 pound boneless, skinless breasts
  • Dashes of salt and pepper
  • 3/4 cup honey
  • 1/2 cup soy sauce
  • 4 tablespoons diced onion
  • 4 tablespoons ketchup
  • 1 Tbs canola oil
  • 4 cloves garlic, smashed and minced
  • 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
  • 4 teaspoons cornstarch
  • 4 Tbs water
  • Sprinkle of sesame seeds
  1. Season both sides of chicken  lightly with salt and pepper, and place pieces into into a crock pot that has been coated with non-stick spray.
  2. In a small bowl, combine honey, soy sauce, onion, ketchup, oil, garlic and pepper flakes. Pour over chicken in crock pot.
  3. Cook on LOW for 4 - 5  hours or on high for 2 - 3 hours until chicken is cooked through.
  4. Remove chicken pieces from crock pot and place on cutting surface.
  5. Remove most of the sauce from crock pot and place in small saucepan.
  6. Dissolve 4 teaspoons of cornstarch in 4 Tbs of water and pour into saucepan. Stir to combine with sauce.  Boil lightly on stovetop for several minutes until sauce thickens a bit.
  7. Return the sauce to the crockpot.
  8. Cut chicken into bite size pieces, then return to pot and toss with sauce before serving.
  9. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and serve over rice or noodles.

Per serving.
Weight Watchers P+ = 8.
Calories 303; Protein 32 g; Carbohydrate 38g; Fat 3g; Fibre 0g.

Layer everything in the crock pot.


Remove chicken after it is cooked and cut into cubes.


Serve over rice or noodles.


All you need for a complete meal is a veggie on the side.




Do you have a favorite crock pot recipe to share?

2 comments:

  1. I am madly in love with my crockpot! Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I should probably get a crockpot~ lol

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a comment.