Friday, October 26, 2012

Banana Protein Cake

We have found a wonderful new breakfast!  A Banana Protein Cake... created by She Rocks Fitness,  a blog I recently discovered and am now following.  Please stop over and read the post about how this dish came to be!

I altered the ingredient list only slightly and then doubled the amounts to make us one cake each.  It was an enormous serving!  I topped our cakes with a mixture of chunky natural peanut butter and fat free plain yogurt.  And, although delicious, it was actually too much and even after a two-hour walk, we were not ready for lunch till well into the afternoon!


The texture of these cakes is wonderful!  Chewy, yet light. 




We both wanted to try this again the next morning because we liked it so much!  But I made a single cake and cut it in half for us to share.  Then I topped it with fat free plain yogurt, a few banana slices and some blackberries... all sprinkled with cinnamon. 




This was definitely a better way to go... Still very filling and delicious, but not too much food all at once..

I am sure you could use your own favorite protein powder and  milk in this recipe and it would work out just fine. 

The original has cocoa powder added to it, too, so the next time I made it, I used chocolate protein powder and left out the cinamon... wonderful!

With yogurt and heated fresh blackberries.


I bet this would make a great little dessert or afternoon snack.  And of course, if your protein powder is gluten-free, the final result will be, as well.  I know that those of you who are Weight Watchers will love this cake!

I calculated the N.I. with the ingredients I used, and will share them for the whole cake as well as half of it.

Banana Protein Cake
Makes 1 cake
  • 1 mashed banana
  • 1 scoop vanilla protein powder
  • 1 egg
  • dash of cinnamon
  • 2 Tbs vanilla unsweetened Almond Breeze
  • 1 Tbs chia seeds
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  1. Beat all ingredients together and allow to sit for a few minutes till chia seeds begin to swell.
  2. Pour batter into a microwave safe dish which has been lightly coated with a non-stick spray.
  3. Cook on HIGH for 3 minutes, checking after the 2nd minute that the batter is not rising too high and running over the edge of the baking dish.
  4. Remove from mike and let rest 4 or 5 minutes.
  5. Remove cake to serving dish and top as you like.
Per serving of whole cake, without toppings.
Weight Watchers P+ = 11.
Calories 353; Protein 37g; Carbohydrate 36g; Fat 16g; Fibre 9g.

Per serving of 1/2 of the cake, without toppings.
Weight Watchers P+ = 5.
Calories 177; Protein 18g; Carbohydrate 18g; Fat 8g; Fibre 4g.

Let it rest after cooking, for a few minutes.


Add your favorite toppings and enjoy!



6 comments:

  1. Looks healthy and filling! I will have to give it a try! Love single serve recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Made it this morning using 1/2 cup pumpkin puree instead of the banana and pumpkin pie spice instead of the cinnamon. Topped it with 2 tsp real maple syrup, some sliced strawberries on the side. Delish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love your pumpkin version idea! Tis the season after all!

      Delete
  3. I'm excited to try this! I always like to have a protein packed, yet slightly sweet, breakfast in the mornings - keeps me satiated for sure! I love your plates, btw, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. eggs are like my favorite thing and I'm drooling over all your recipes, but i just found out I'm allergic!! I think i could make this one with a flax egg though!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a comment.