Monday, August 20, 2012

Grain/Gluten-Free Wrap

I have been reading a book called WHEAT BELLY, recently and finally decided to try some of the simple recipes it contains.  The doctor who wrote the book is a big fan of ground flax seed, and lately so am I. I have been eating it cooked as well as raw and find that it often makes a good substitute for flour.

Since I have given up gluten, I haven't had much bread at all... a few slices when visiting my sister-in-law and her family last month... and a few days ago we stumbled upon a line of gluten-free Silver Hills breads in a new local market.  And at a reasonable price, too.

But I haven't had any wraps or tortillas so this recipe from WHEAT BELLY really intrigued me, and I decided to try in on Sunday at noon.  It has a few simple ingredients, and after making it I can see lots of possibilities for varying the flavor so will be doing more  experimenting with it.  I will give it to you as I made it up.

The recipe calls for coconut oil and I did use that... but the finished product has a bit of a coconut taste so next time I am going to use either olive oil or an olive oil-canola blend, instead of the coconut oil.  I don't dislike the taste of coconut oil, but I think it just doesn't suit this finished product.

And even though the outcome is a good sized 'wrap' it is a bit brittle so I opted to just fold it over instead of actually trying to roll it.  The texture is pleasing and overall, I would give it a thumbs up.  It is good enough to keep working with, certainly.





Grain/Gluten-Free Wrap
Makes 1 serving.

  • 3 Tbs ground flax seeds
  • 1/4 tsp baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp garlic powder
  • Dash of salt
  • 1 Tbs coconut oil, melted
  • 1 Tbs water
  • 1 large fresh egg
  1. In a smallish bowl, mix together the ground flax seeds, baking powder, garlic powder, and salt.
  2. Stir in the coconut oil and blend well.
  3. Add the egg and water and mix till combined.
  4. Coat a flat microwave-safe plate with non-stick spray, or a spritz of a cooking oil
  5. Pour the flaxseed mixture onto the plate and spread thin.  It will be about 9 or 10 inches in diameter.
  6. Microwave on HIGH for 3 minutes then remove and allow to rest at least 5 minutes. It will firm up a bit as it cools.
  7. Gently remove from the plate and flip over to fill with desired ingredients.
Per serving.
Weight Watchers P+= 9.
Calories 312; Protein 12g; Carbohydrate 7g; Fat 28g; Fibre 6g.

That seems like a very high calorie count for a lunchtime wrap... I filled mine with a couple of red lettuce leaves and 2 thin slices of lean ham.  It was really satisfying, and I think that next time I could easily use only half and save the other half in the refrigerator for lunch the next day. 

If I were to have it at dinner time, I would load it up with more protein and veggies.

I am going to try making it with 2 Tbs of egg white, instead of a whole egg.   That will lower the calorie and fat count significantly, and the P+ to 7.  When I do that, I will publish another post to share the results.

This raw mixture probably could have been spread out a bit thinner.


Cooked and resting.  No color change of course, because the mike doesn't brown things.


Filled and folded and ready to enjoy!




1 comment:

  1. Love all the protein in that wrap! Such a cool idea to get more flax into your diet. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a comment.