Thursday, August 02, 2012

Grain-Free Gluten-Free and Paleo Almond Butter Pancakes

Since I have been trying to eat fewer grain products, I am broadening my horizons and using new ingredients.  I have not gone so far as to label all my eats 'Paleo' but I am leaning in that direction, except for the occasional dish of yogurt.

A few weeks ago I tried using almond flour/meal to make a Grain-Free Gluten-Free Almond Flour Banana Loaf and it turned out quite nicely.

I have been trying to come up with a way to use almond flour in a pancake recipe and was going to begin doing some experimenting when I ran across this blog post from Peanut Butter Fingers, on Monday evening. 

I was a bit taken aback when I calculated the N.I. for the pancakes, but quickly realized I could revamp the ingredient list somewhat, and still come up with a tasty result, and lower the Weight Watchers Points Plus Values considerably.

I used the same method that Julie used for her cakes, but my ingredients are a little different. 




Almond Butter Pancakes
Makes 5 pancakes
  • 1 cup almond flour/meal
  • 1 whole fresh egg
  • 1/2 cup egg whites
  • 2 Tbs almond butter, at room temperature
Check Julie's post to get the directions for making these pancakes... super easy!


After cooking the pancakes, I topped them with banana slices, strawberries, and a bit of syrup.  They are quite dense, so a bit dry, and would be really nice with some yogurt, too.

And, because we didn't eat them all, I wrapped the leftovers and put them in the refrigerator overnight and  I had them for breakfast, reheated in the mike, the next morning.  Just as good!

Per serving of 1 pancake without toppings.
Weight Watchers P+ = 5.
Calories 191 ; Protein 10g; Carbohydrate 6g; Fat 15g; Fibre 3g.

Mix the almond flour with the eggs and then add in the almond butter and combine well.


Cook over moderate heat about 3 minutes per side.


Flip, and cook the other side.  Then pile them up on a plate and cover to keep warm till ready to serve. 

Top and garnish as desired.


Have you baked or cooked with almond flour/meal?

Any links you would like to share?

3 comments:

  1. You must have read my mind, I was just thinking yesterday how I could add almond butter to a pancake recipe. This one looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm pancakes. I swear, they hyponotize me. :) These look delish! <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know I love pancakes right?! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a comment.