Monday, June 25, 2012

Cool Carrot Soup

I cannot tell you how delicious the roasted veggies taste in this soup!  You really have to try it for yourself.

This recipe comes from a Canadian publication called Fresh Juice, which we get in the mail from Presidents Choice.  It comes addressed to my husband and I am not sure how he got on their mailing list, but we have had 2 issues so far and I love them both.  Lots of great food ideas and interesting articles, too.  Free, yes, bring it on!

So... to the soup.

It is quite easy, really.  Wash, cut and roast the veggies, then allow to cool. Puree with some cold vegetable broth and serve!

I started this batch at 10:30 a.m. and we sat down to lunch at 12:30 p.m.   My vegetable broth was already cold from the refrigerator, so I skipped the 'chill' step.

You would not believe how good your kitchen will smell, too, while the carrots, onion, and garlic cloves are roasting in the oven.  I urge you to give this a try.  I used 4 cloves of garlic instead of 2 because we do love it, and I also used my own homemade vegetable stock. 

The N.I. is my own, from the exact measurements of ingredients I used.



Cool Carrot Soup
Makes 6 servings of 3/4 cup each
  • 2 lb carrots, cut in 1-inch chunks
  • 1 medium onion, cut in 1-inch chunks
  • 2 cloves garlic, peeled
  • 1 Tbs olive oil
  • Dash each of salt and pepper
  • 4 cups vegetable stock
  • Sour cream or yogurt for garnish
  • Chopped chives, fresh dill or cilantro for garnish
  1. Preheat oven to 425° F.
  2. Place carrots, onion, and garlic on a foil-lined baking sheet.  Drizzle with the oil, mix around a bit to distribute oil, then sprinkle with salt and pepper.
  3. Roast until vegetables are soft all the way through and starting to brown, 45 to 60 minutes.  Let cool slightly, about 20 minutes.
  4. Puree in blender in batches with stock until smooth.  Use more stock if you want a thinner soup.  Add more salt and pepper if you like.  Chill for about 30 minutes.
  5. Serve garnished with a dollop of fat free sour cream or fat free yogurt and a sprinkling of chopped herbs.
Per serving without garnish.
Weight Watchers P+ = 3.
Calories 100; Protein 2g; Carbohydrate 19g; Fat 3g; Fibre 5g.

Vegetables ready to pop in the hot oven.


I cooked them the whole hour and was a little concerned by the blackened bits, but used them anyway and it was fine.


Garnished and ready to eat...


With some crackers and soft cheese.  A complete lunch!  A half-portion in a small bowl would be a lovely starter course for a formal dinner.



I think when I might add some ground ginger to my next bowlful before eating it... Ginger goes really nicely with carrots.  The author of the recipe also suggests adding a light curry powder.  That would be very good too, I think.

5 comments:

  1. I made it, adding some grated ginger to the carrot/onion mix before baking.
    In my convection oven my veggie mix was done at 25 minutes.
    Very yummy thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love carrots and carrot soup, haven't had in a long time, might have to see if the wife is willing to make or should I say help me make it, since I become the new chef in September :-).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have learned that I stay out of the way in the kitchen, will take my chances in September ;-).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not one for carrots (unless raw!), but this soup looks yummy! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a comment.