Tuesday, April 19, 2011

So Happy to Find Something New

Tru Roots Organic Sprouted Bean Trio.  Wow!  That's a mouthful... and a delicious and nutritious one at that.

A vegan acquaintance recommended this to me a few days ago, and I had to make a trip to Costco this morning so I made a point of looking for it.

44g is the recommended serving size/approx 1-1/2 oz


It is a mixture of dried, sprouted lentils, mung beans and adzuki beans.  According the information on the package, sprouting the beans boosts the nutritional profile-increasing vitamins and micronutrients.   Apparently it makes the beans easier to digest.

I was happy to see that it only takes 15 minutes to prepare them.  Just put the amount you want into boiling water for 5 minutes at simmer, and then remove the saucepan from the heat and let rest 10 more minutes.  Drain and use!  That makes them a really good food for the boat, where resources are limited.

And the price was reasonable.  So, I added the package to my cart and when I got home, immediately cooked up some to add some punch to my lunch salad.

Cooked and drained


Very tasty, and satisfying.  A nice change from canned beans, and without all the sodium, too.

And on my lunch salad

Dry weight 44 grams/1-1/2 ounces (not quite 1/2 cup)
Weight Watchers P+ = 4.
Calories 160g; Protein 11g; Carbohydrate 27g; Fat 0.5g; Fibre 11g


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving me a comment.