Saturday, April 16, 2011

I ♥ Soup!

We love to have soup at lunchtime.  It just seems so nourishing.  This recipe came from a book I read a few months ago, called Hunger Free Forever.  

The original recipe calls for 1 Tbs of olive oil but I thought that was a bit too much, so I used only 1 tsp.  I also subbed canned diced tomatoes for the condensed tomato soup.  The tomato soup has a lot more carbohydrates than the canned diced tomatoes, and also some fat.  I think my version is healthier, and tastier.
Here it is.



Red Bean and Tomato Soup
Makes 2 servings

  • 1/2 cup chopped onion
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 1 stalk celery, chopped
  • 1 tsp canola/olive oil blend
  • 1 cup canned red kidney beans, drained
  • 1 - 1/4 cups canned diced tomatoes, blended
  • 2 Tbs Italian herbs
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • 1 cup water

  1. Saute the onions, garlic, and celery in the olive oil over medium-low heat for about 5 minutes in a medium saucepan, stirring often. 
  2. Blend the kidney beans, tomatoes and herbs in a blender for 2 to 3 minutes.  Add to the pot along with 1 cup of water. 
  3. Cook for 15 minutes. 
  4. Season to taste.

Per serving.
Weight Watchers P+ = 4.
Calories 177; Protein 9g; Carbohydrate 29g; Fat 4g; Fibre 8g



Red Kidney Beans

2 comments:

  1. Great recipe.I followed you from the foodie blog roll and I'd love to guide Foodista readers to your site. I hope you could add this red kidney beans widget at the end of this post so we could add you in our list of food bloggers who blogged about recipes for red kidney beans,Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am happy to add your widget to this post. Neat idea.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a comment.