But sometimes I like to take more time preparing a heartier breakfast... that often turns into brunch, really. That is the case with what I am calling my Healthful Gluten-Free Waffles. 'Healthful' because of the ingredients I have chosen to use in them. And heartier because they kept me satisfied right through my normal lunch time.
I should also add that The Captain loved them... win win win!
I have had a bag of North Coast Naturals Ultimate Daily Cleanse sitting in my pantry for several months now. It was in the last shipment of goodies I received to test and I admit to being somewhat intimidated by it... not really knowing what to do with it. But, today, when I thought I would use some ground flax seed in my new waffle mixture, I decided to open that bag and try some of the Ultimate Daily Cleanse instead. I am so glad I did!
It is a mixture of six natural ingredients:
- Ground 100% Canadian prairie flax seed (soluble & insoluble fibre & EFAs)
- Ground psyllium seed husk (soluble & insoluble fibre)
- Inulin fibre from chicory root (prebiotic fibre)
- Ground organic sprouted chia seed (superior nutrients, fibre and EFAs)
- Ground organic sprouted brown rice bran powder (soluble & insoluble fibre)
- Probiotics (1 billion good bacteria cells from non-dairy lactobacillus fermentum; provides the same healthy probiotic goodness associated with yogurt, without the taste or the dairy)
And I should add that it is dairy free, soy free and wheat/gluten free as well.... an all-natural blend that promotes healthy regularity. You can check it out at North Coast Naturals web site if you are interested.
So as to start out gently and ease into using it, I substituted 2 Tbs of the Ultimate Daily Cleanse for the 2 Tbs of ground flax seed that I would have used in this recipe. I didn't notice any taste or texture whatsoever.
I used a bit of maple syrup, some banana slices and shredded coconut to dress up my waffles.... so delicious!
Healthful Gluten-Free Waffles
Makes 2 servings
- 4 whole eggs
- 1/4 cup unsweetened vanilla Almond Breeze
- 2 Tbs Ultimate Daily Cleanse
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- Crack the eggs into a medium bowl and beat till fluffy.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and beat again till the batter is smooth. It will be lumpy. Keep beating.
- Pour half the mixture into a hot waffle iron and allow to cook about 5 minutes.
- Remove to plate. Cover to keep warm.
- Repeat with second half of batter.
- Serve with your favorite waffle toppings.
Per serving without toppings.
Weight Watchers P+ = 6.
Calories 232; Protein 15g; Carbohydrate 11g; Fat 14g; Fibre 8g.
Keep mixing the batter till the lumps are gone!
Cover the cooked waffles till all the batter has been used.
And then dress them up before serving!
I did receive this product free of charge to use in my own kitchen and was under no obligation to review it.